Reverend Horatio Townsend (600)
|Date of Birth:||1 Sep 1706|
|Date of Death:||Oct 1772|
|Residence:||Glebe House Coolmona, Donoughmore (1)|
|Father:||Colonel Bryan Townsend |
|See Also:||Table VI ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Reverend Horatio Townsend
Horatio was born at Castletownshend and his date of birth is taken from an entry, in contemporary writing, on the fly leaf of a copy of 'The Christian Pattern or Imitation of Jesus Christ' - London 1707.
Page 127 of Gillman's 'Index to the Marriage Licence Bonds of the Diocese of Cork and Ross' records a Marriage Bond dated 21 May 1739. Mary Hungerford (2) was the younger daughter of Thomas Hungerford (2a) of The Island (Inchydoney) (2b) near Clonakilty, Co Cork and his wife Susannah Becher, whose sister, Elizabeth, married Captain Horatio Townsend  in 1670. Mary's sister, Elizabeth Hungerford, married Horatio's brother Philip Townsend . See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 - Hungerford. See also ‘A Guide to Irish Houses’ by M. Bence-Jones, London, 1988 – “CLONAKILTY cor Inchydoney House. Hungerford 1810? Owned by Col Richard Hungerford, 1690. Owned 1855 by Thomas Hungerford. Rebuilt ca. 1810.”
Alumni Trinity College Dublin from Co Cork and Kerry 1593-1860 in Dr Casey's Collection records that Horatio was taught by Mr Fryar of Bandon before he entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 1 June 1722 aged 16 as a pensioner who paid a fixed sum annually for his studies. Mr Fryar also tutored Horatio's cousin, Francis Townsend , before he entered the University in 1723. The TCD Graduation List shows that he qualified BA in Spring 1726 and MA in Summer 1739. Butler Townsend  and Francis Townsend  were undergraduates at TCD at the same time.
Ordained Deacon on 23 June 1728 at Cloyne, Horatio was Priest at Kilmeen, Tuam from 1730 to 1737. He was appointed Rector of Donoughmore in 1732 and retained the living there until his death in 1772. See pages 187/188 of Brady's Cerical & Parochial Records Volume 2 for a summary of Horatio's ministry. The entry records that in 1774 the church at Donoughmore was a ruin and James Hingston was resident in the Glebe House.
Horatio purchased land at Ardinpinane from Lord Kingston (3) in April 1745 and several hundred acres of land from Sir Charles Moore (4). In 1752 he built the Glebe House at Coolmona, Donoughmore at a cost of £433; his annual income in 1762 was £300. According to Brady’s Clerical & Parochial Records Volume 2 pages 190/191 the Glebe House was unfit for habitation in 1801, having been condemned in 1788 - just 16 years after Horatio died. Extended in 1840, Brady's further records that by 1860 the house was restored. The ground floor comprised a sitting room, dining room, living room, large kitchen and study with a basement underneath. On the first floor there were six bedrooms and a further three rooms in the attic. Outside there were stables, stalls, a coach house and a gardener’s house in an enclosed yard.
Horatio's brother, Richard Townsend , stipulated in his will that if he died before his son Richard Townsend  had come of age, his wife Elizabeth was to act as the sole legatee and guardian of the children. If she were to die before young Richard came of age then Horatio and his brothers Samuel Townsend  and Philip Townsend  were appointed guardians. Richard died in 1742 and Elizabeth died the following year when her son Richard was about 17 years old. Thus Horatio and his brothers had responsibility for the children for the next 4 years when nephew Richard came of age in about 1747.
During the period 1755-1763 when his brother, Philip Townsend , was away in America during Seven Years War Horatio looked after his family and was godfather to Philip's daughter, Mary Townsend .
Horatio was a Freeman of the City of Cork. Between 1710 and 1841, when the power of admitting Freemen only by birth or right ceased, a total of thirty three members of the Townsend family were admitted as Freemen.
The book “The Ancient and Present State of the County and City of Cork” was published in 1749 in Dublin and was dedicated to John, Earl of Orrery. The list of subscriber’s names on page xii includes ‘Horatio Townsend Esq’, ‘Samuel Townsend Esq’ and ‘Cornelius Townsend Esq’. These refer to Cornelius Townsend , Horatio Townsend  and Samuel Townsend . The list of "Gentlemen now in the Commission of the Peace in this County" on page 69 includes 'Townshend Corn Esq', 'Townshend Horatio Esq' and 'Townshend Revd. Horatio' (Horatio Townsend ). The spelling of 'Townsend' varies even in the same book!
The seventh edition of “The History of the General Rebellion in Ireland: Raised upon the Three (sic) and Twenty day of October 1641” published by Phineas and George Bagnell, Castle Street Cork in 1766 shows “Rev Horatio Townsend” as a subscriber. Ten other members of the family are shown in the list of subscribers; Francis Townsend , Cornelius Townsend , John Townsend  or , Richard Townsend  or  or [6A00], Rev Richard Townsend , Philip Townsend , Dr Richard Townsend , Thomas Hungerford Townsend , Rev Horatio Townsend [5D00], Rev Edward Synge Townsend .
The “Rev Horatio Townshend AM” is shown as a subscriber to the book ‘The State of The Protestants of Ireland under the late King James’s Government' by William King, Lord Archbishop of Dublin and published by Phineas Bagnell, Cork, in 1768. “In which their carriage towards him is justified, and the absolute necessity of their endeavouring to be freed from his government, and submitting to their present Majesties is demonstrated.” Other members of the family who subscribed to this book include Richard Townsend , John Townsend  or , Edward Mansel Townsend , Philip Townsend , Captain Thomas Townsend , Rev Edward Synge Townsend  and Richard Townsend [6A00].
Probate on Horatio's will was granted in 1773.
(1) Ordnance survey of Ireland. Discovery Series. 1:50,000. Map sheet 80, grid reference W509826.
(2) Mary was a legatee in the will of her great uncle John Hungerford, Lord of the Manor of Hungerford, England, whose will is dated 24 May 1729.
(2a) The entry for Hungerford in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke indicates that this family traditionally claimed descent from the Hungerford family of Farley in Somerset. Captain Thomas Hungerford settled in west Cork in the later seventeenth century.The Hungerfords married into many other influential families in the area including Beecher, Jones and Daunt. Both Mary Sandes Hungerford and Francis Hungerford, of The Island House, Inchydoney, were the owners of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Thomas Hungerford was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Island and Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Both Richard and Beecher Hungerford held townlands in the parish of Kinneigh at that time. Much of this land was held on lease from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In July 1852 over 800 acres in the parish of Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, the property of Richard Hungerford, deceased, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 300 acres, the property of Alexander George Hungerford, was offered for sale in the court in June 1856 while 560 acres of Thomas Hungerford's estate, located in the barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in October 1859."
(2b) The entry for Inchydoney in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Hungerford was leasing this property from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners when it was valued at £22. Described by Lewis as "Island House" and the seat of T. Hungerford in 1837. In 1906 it was owned by Mary Sandes Hungerforde and valued at £31 15s. There is still a house at this location."
(3) Probably George King, 4th Lord Kingston of Mitchelstown Castle.
(4) Not identified for certain but most likely to be Sir Charles Moore, 4th Baronet (d. 1754) of the Moore Baronetcy, of Rosscarbery in the County of Cork. Created in the Baronetage of Ireland on 29 June 1681 for Emanuel Moore. The title became extinct or dormant on the death of the eleventh Baronet in 1926.
'An Officer of the Long Parliament' Ch XII p. 267 and 'Pooles of Mayfield' p 237 refer.