Doctor Richard Townsend (315)
|Date of Birth:||ca 1762/3|
|Date of Death:||Unknown|
|Residence:||Cononagh, Leap, Co Cork|
|Father:||Philip Townsend |
|See Also:||Table III ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Under the entry for 'Townsend' Burke's Irish Family Records show Richard marrying Helen Hungerford but omit her parentage and there is no matching entry in the 'Hungerford' section of the Records. According to John FitzHenry Townshend  and 'An Officer of the Long Parliament' Richard married Helena Hungerford daughter of Richard Hungerford of Cahermore,(1 & 1a) Clonakilty, Co Cork. Thus by deduction, though not shown by Burke, Helena appears to be a daughter of Richard Hungerford who married Mary Shaw, whose father was Thomas Hungerford of Cahermore who married Sarah Boisseau in 1751. If this is correct, Helena is a great granddaughter of Barbara Townsend  who married Colonel Thomas Becher in 1724.
Richard's second wife was the daughter of Francis Jennison of Union Hall, Co Cork. Was her first name Elizabeth? - See the third entry in the Ross Cathedral Records below.
The Tithe Applotment Books in the National Archives of Ireland were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. The 1829 entry for the Gurtroe Ploughland in the Parish of Kilmacabea shows Richard owning 8 acres with a rateable value of 4 shillings. This entry could refer to Dr Richard Townsend .
'The Post Chaise Companion or Traveller's Directory' through Ireland 3rd Edition 1804 page 331 records "Within a mile of Ross, on the R. is Hollybrook, the seat of Mr John Becher, Esq and about a mile further to the R. is Cahirmore, the seat of Mr Hungerford".
'Protestant Militia and Volunteers 1778. Co. Cork' records "HANOVER SOCIETY, CLOUGHNAKILTY. Enrolled 1778. Force 2 companies. Uniform: scarlet, faced buff. Officers at 1782 - Colonel, Richard Hungerford; Major, Thomas Hungerford; Captains, John Hungerford and Beecher Hungerford; Lieutenant, Swithin White; Adjutant, Richard Bagley; Chaplain, John Townsend; Secretary, Thomas Morgan." There must be a Hungerford connection here.
Page 318 of Francis G Tuckey's "Tuckey's Cork Remembrancer" records that 'Richard Townsend' was High Sheriff of County Cork in 1807; there is no supporting evidence to show that this refers to Richard - it could equally apply to four others named Richard , ,  and [6A00] or to someone from another family. On balance of probability it is most likely Richard Townsend .
Three entries in the Church of Ireland Parish Records Ross Cathedral 1690–1823 possibly refer to Richard.
P. 47 ‘Burials’ - " 1795 January 23rd a child of Doctor Townsend."
P. 47 ‘Burials’ - " 1795 May 7th Mrs Townsend the wife of Doctor Richard Townsend." This could also refer to Eleanor, first wife of Dr Richard Townsend .
* P.50 'Christenings' - "April 21st 1800 Anna Maria daughter of Dr Richard and Elizabeth Townsend of Burgesia." This might refer to Anne Townsend . No other 'Doctor Richard Townsend' in these records has a wife called Elizabeth within the time frame, so it can be deduced that Richard's second wife was Elizabeth Jennison. 'Burgesia' is a mystery!
(1) The entry for Hungerford in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke indicates that this family traditionally claimed descent from the Hungerford family of Farley in Somerset. Captain Thomas Hungerford settled in west Cork in the later seventeenth century.The Hungerfords married into many other influential families in the area including Beecher, Jones and Daunt. Both Mary Sandes Hungerford and Francis Hungerford, of The Island House, Inchydoney, were the owners of over 500 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Thomas Hungerford was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Castleventry, Island and Ross, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Both Richard and Beecher Hungerford held townlands in the parish of Kinneigh at that time. Much of this land was held on lease from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In July 1852 over 800 acres in the parish of Kinneigh, barony of East Carbery, the property of Richard Hungerford, deceased, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Over 300 acres, the property of Alexander George Hungerford, was offered for sale in the court in June 1856 while 560 acres of Thomas Hungerford's estate, located in the barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in October 1859."
(1a) The entry for Cahermore House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records In 1851 Thomas Hungerford was leasing Cahermore House from the Bishop of Cork's estate,when it was valued at £32. It was owned by Henry Hungerford in 1906 and valued at over £44. Taylor and Skinner's map of 1783 also shows Cahermore as a Hungerford residence. This house is no longer extant."
There is another Jennison connection through the son of Katherine Townsend .