- An Officer of the Long Parliament — Being an Account of
the Life & Times of Colonel Richard Townesend of Castletown
(Castletownshend) & a Chronicle of his Family. Edited by
Richard and Dorothea Townsend [5D15] and subsequently amended by him
- The Poole's of Mayfield by Rosemary ffolliot.
- Brady's Clerical & Parochial Records, Cork, Cloyne and
Ross. Vols I – III.
- Burke's Irish Family Records. 1976 edition.
- Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1848-64.
- Indexes to Irish Wills by WPW Philimore.
- Irish Census April 1901
- Irish Census April 1911
- Land Owners of Ireland — County Cork 1876.
- Landowners of Ireland 1878 by U.H. Hussey de Burgh.
- Leslie's Ossory Clergy and Parishes.
- London Gazette from 1665 to the present day
- Munster Volunteer Registry, 1782 © Jane Lyons
- Protestant Militia and Volunteers 1778
- Statistical Survey of Cork (1810) by Rev Horatio Townsend [5D00]
- Supplemental Addenda to Unpublished Kerry Records.
- Succession Lists of the Diocese of Dromore by Henry Swanzy.
- Topographical Dictionary 1837 by Samuel
- The Post Chaise Companion or Traveller's Directory through
Ireland 3rd Edition 1804.
- RBT Papers. Letters to Richard Baxter Townsend [5D15] and
his wife Dorothea from members of the family after the publication
of An Officer of the Long Parliament.
- Lovera Papers. Family documents, letters and papers
dating from 1790 that belonged to Contessa Sylvia Lovera di Maria,
daughter of Sylvia Rosalie Gorges (nee Townsend) , and
inherited from her on her death in 1982 by Robert Knox, grandson of
Zeenie Townsend . Now deposited in Gloucester Record Office.
- Derry Papers Family documents, letters and papers dating
from 1687 relating to the Derry branch of the family by kind
permission of Maurice Philip Townshend [5D65]. Now deposited in
Gloucester Record Office.
- Llanvapley Papers Townsend family correspondence dating
from 1816, by kind permission of Michael Skinner, grandson of Edward
Mansel Townshend  through Sybil Gertrude Townshend . Now
deposited in Gloucester Record Office.
- In Memoriam. The Rev Chambre Corker Townsend [5D01]
written by his wife and published privately.
- A Protestant Auto-Biography by the Rev E Mansel Townshend
 (unpublished) by kind permission of Michael Skinner, grandson
of Edward Mansel Townshend through Sybil Gertrude Townsend .
- Family Pedigree compiled by Judge John Fitzhenry Townsend 
of Seafield, Castletownshend in 1880.
- Notes left by Richard Baxter Townsend [5D15] in his copy of An
Officer of the Long Parliament.
- All almanacs and directories between 1824 and 1913.
- Letters and notes left by Helena Armitage [5D25], a distant
niece of Richard Baxter Townsend [5D15].
- Navy and Army Lists.
- The diary of Agnes Townsend  1842 – 1904.
- Who's Who.
- Who Was Who.
- Dictionary of National Biography — various editions.
- Information provided by Jessica Freeman (daughter of Constance
- The visitor's book belonging to the late Rose-Marie Townshend .
- Inspired Golf by Richard Baxter Townsend. Transcribed
& edited by Kevin Allen. (Copies available from Kevin Allen, 2
Milford Court, Gale Moor Avenue, Gosport, Hants PO12 2TN).
- Personal correspondence with surviving members of the family.
- Articles and cuttings from newspapers and journals.
- Family Notes by Horatio Baxter Townshend [5D34].