Joanna Meade Townsend (5D04)
|Date of Birth:||15 Mar 1786|
|Date of Death:||19 May 1867|
|Residence:||Mayfield, Bandon, Co Cork|
|Father:||Reverend Horatio (Horace) Townsend [5D00]|
|See Also:||Table VD ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Joanna Meade Townsend
Of the children:
Major Hewitt Poole JP of Mayfield, Co Cork, 3rd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers was born on 5 January 1812. He married 1st on 31 May 1836 Jane, eldest daughter of Joseph Deane Freeman DL,of Castlecor,(4 & 5) Co Cork. By Jane, who died in February 1841, he had a son who died young and two daughters, the youngest of whom (Joanna) married Captain Horace Townshend [5D23]. Hewitt married 2nd on 17 November 1849 Lucia Anne, eldest daughter of Richard Wills Gason DL of Richmond,(6 & 7) Nenagh, Co Tipperary. She died on 22 April 1888 and Hewitt died on 24 May 1903 having had a son (Hewitt Richard Poole) who succeeded him and two daughters (Alice Katherine and Lucia Theodora).
Horace Townsend Poole was born on 6 January 1813 and married in 1854 Judith Isabella, eldest daughter of Lionel J. Fleming of Newcourt, (8) Skibbereen, Co Cork. She died in 1861 and Horace died on 24 March 1872 having had a son (Thomas Hewitt Poole) and two daughters (Dorothy and Eva).
Thomas Poole was born in 1820 and married Anne, eldest daughter of George Bennett JP of Willaston, Douglas, Isle of Man.
Helena Charlotte Poole died unmarried in 1888.
Dorothea Morris Poole died unmarried in 1890.
Katharine Townsend Poole married in 1848 Henry Newton, Chief Justice of Bombay and died in 1865 leaving five daughters.
Charlotte Meade Poole died unmarried in 1846.
Joanna Townshend Poole died unmarried.
Elizabeth Henrietta Poole married in 1863 William Jackson Cummins (9) MD of Cork, son of Robert King Cummins of Belmont, Cork, and died in 1868 leaving a daughter Lily Poole (who died on 30 April, 1910) and a son Major Henry Alfred Cummins CMG, MD late Royal Army Medical Corps. Henry was born on 8 March 1864 and married on 14 June 1894 Ethel Percy, daughter of Robert Constable Hall JP of Rockcliffe, Cork. Henry retired from the Army in 1906 and was appointed Professor of Botany and Agriculture University College Cork.
Isabella Susan Poole married in 1859 John William Perrott (10) of Castle Lyons,(11) Co Cork, and had a son and a daughter.
The records of the South Cork Light Infantry Militia show a ‘Thomas Poole' commissioned as Ensign in 1801- this could well be Thomas. The Militia Act of 1793 sets forth that-"Every person who has been or shall hereafter be appointed an Officer of the Militia of any of the ranks following, shall be in possession of an estate for his own life or the life of another, or for some greater estate in land or heritage's in the United Kingdom of the yearly value hereinafter mentioned in connection with such respective rank, or be heir apparent of some person who shall be in possession of a life estate in property of the like yearly value. For an Ensign the sum was £20 a year, or heir to £200 personal property a year."
Edward Hume Townsend  visited Joanna at Mayfield in June 1854, shortly after her husband had died, and then went on to see his new property at Cuilnaconartha which he had bought on 23 May that year at the suggestion of Joanna's son, Horace.
Page 286 of The Calendar of Wills and Administration 1858-1922 in the National Archives of Ireland records that the will of "Joanna Meade Poole late of Mayfield County Cork Widow", who died on 19 May 1867 at same place, was proved at Cork on 22 January 1872 by "the oath of Hewitt Poole of Monkstown in said County one of the Executors”. Effects under £1,000.
'Pooles of Mayfield' p 25 & 194 refer but Joanna is not shown on p 237.
(1) The wedding was announced in the Limerick General Advertiser of 20 June 1806. "Last Saturday, in Cork, Thomas POOLE, of Mayfield, co Cork, Esq to Miss TOWNSEND, eldest daughter of the Rev Horatio TOWNSEND."
(2) Thomas was born in 1773 and died on 3 March 1854. He was Sovereign of Midleton for over thirty years.
(2a) The entry for Poole (Mayfield) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke indicates that the estate at Mayfield was purchased by Thomas Poole, a descendent of the Cheshire and Gloucestershire families, in 1628. Hewitt Poole, of Mayfield, Bandon, owned over 1700 acres in county Cork in the 1870s, while other family members owned lessor amounts. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Thomas Poole was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballymodan, barony of Kinalmeaky."
(3) The entry for Mayfield in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "In the 1770s Poole Esq was resident at Knocknaville near Bandon. Thomas Poole held Mayfield in perpetuity at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £48. Both Lewis, in 1837, and Leet, in1814, also refer to it as his residence."
(4) The entry for Freeman in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "In the 1770s Edward Deane, son of Joseph Deane and Jane Freeman, inherited the estates of his mother's family the Freemans of Castle Cor, county Cork, and took the additional name of Freeman. His grandson also named Edward Deane Freeman owned estates in both counties Cork (mainly in the barony of Duhallow) and Kerry in the early 1850s and a small amount of land at Baggotstown West, parish of Knockainy, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record Edward Deane Freeman as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Brosna, county Kerry. The Freeman estates amounting to over 1200 acres in county Kerry, over 4,000 acres in county Cork and over 450 acres in county Limerick plus tithe rent charges were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court between June 1850 and July 1851. The properties in the barony of Dunkerron South, county Kerry, were occupied by the Taylor and Strange families. Dunkerron House, occupied by the Taylors, was still being leased from the Freeman estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. 238 acres at Baggotstown West, county Limerick were advertised for sale in March 1852 and again in November when about 2,500 acres of the county Cork estate were also put on the market. This sale included the house and demesne of Castlecor. The rental contains a lithograph of the house. The Freemans of Ballymague, parish of Caherduggan, barony of Fermoy, county Cork, were a junior branch of the Freeman family of Castlecor."
(5) The entry for Castlecor in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The home of the Freeman family purchased from the Chinnerys in the early 18th century. Smith records it as the seat of William Freeman in 1750. Later the home of the Deane Freeman family who enlarged the building at the beginning of the 19th century. Advertised for sale in 1852, Bence Jones writes that it was bought by Richard Barry. It remained in the Barrys' possession until the 1950s. Sold by Mr Hope Murray in the 1960s and subsequently demolished."
(6) The entry for Gason in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The Gason family, reputed to have been originally from Kent, settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century, where John Gason and Elizabeth Ward were granted over 1,200 statute acres in Upper Ormond and in the barony or territory of "Killinlougarty" in 1667. By the late 18th century Richard Gason was living at Richmond. He and his grandson also named Richard married members of the Crofts family. G., Richard and Samuel Gason held land in the parishes of Templederry, Kilnaneave and Ballymackey, barony of Upper Ormond, respectively in the mid 19th century. Richard also held land in the parishes of Monsea and Nenagh, barony of Lower Ormond. In October 1865 part of the Gason estate at Lismore and Lissinisky, barony of Upper Ormond, was advertised for sale. These lands were held on a lease from the Earl of Norbury to John Gason dated 1787. In the 1870s Richard Gason of Bath, England, owned 1,929 acres in county Tipperary and his brother Lieutenant Colonel Wills Crofts Gason of Kilteelagh, Nenagh, county Tipperary, owned 878 acres.
(7) The entry for Richmond in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Bence Jones writes that this was a fortified house onto which a three storey house was built in 1733. The house was later altered and expanded. Richmond was the seat of the Gason family in the 18th and 19th centuries, originally known as Killashalloe. Occupied by Richard Gason in 1814 and in 1837 and held by him in fee in the early 1850s when it was valued at £46. This house remained in Gason possession until 1956 when the roof was removed and the farm was sold in 1962. Part of the facade of the Ulster Bank headquarters at George's Quay, Dublin, was constructed from blocks of stone from Richmond House (''The Irish Independent'', 16 March 1999)."
(8) The entry for Newcourt in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lionel Fleming held this property in fee, when it was valued at £22. Both Lewis, in 1837, and Leet in 1814, noted it as the seat of Beecher Fleming. It is shown on Taylor and Skinner's 1783 map apparently the residence of a Tenson family. It was owned by the representatives of Beecher Fleming in 1906 when it was valued at £28 5s. Bence-Jones notes that this house is now demolished though a farm exists at the site."
(9) The entry for Cummins (Cork) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "A family established in the Cork city locality from the mid 18th century. A number of doctors were among the family members in the 19th and 20th centuries. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Cummins family held land in the parish of Carrigtohill, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. Nicholas Cummins was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. Houses and premises in the north east suburbs of Cork city belonging to Elizabeth Farren and Nicholas Marshall Cummins were advertised for sale in July 1853. This rental includes a lithograph of part of Glanmire. A county Cork estate of 1,128 acres and some tithes in county Kildare were advertised for sale by members of the Cummins family, devisees of Joseph King Cummins in June 1854. This sale included part of Lotabeg and Myrtleville. The latter property was offered for sale again in Juy 1863 as part of the estate of Nicholas Cummins. In the 1870s James John Cummins of Cork owned 1,351 acres in county Cork, Thomas Mannix Cummins of Ringmeen, Queenstown owned 684 acres in county Cork and 741 in county Tipperary and John Cummins of Annmount owned 297 acres in county Cork."
(10) The entry for Perrot in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Samuel Perrot held an estate in the parishes of Castlelyons and Rathcormack, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, including the town of Castlelyons. Lewis writes in 1837 that Perrott had recently purchased the manor and was resident at Uplands in the parish. In the 1870s John Walker Perrott of Monkstown, Cork, owned 2,262 acres in county Cork. Samuel Perrott married Anne Walker of Richmond, Fermoy, and they had a number of children including John Walker Perrott (1814-1886) who married Isabella Poole. see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~parrott/carmarthenshire.shtml#i97."
(11) The entry for Castlelyons House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Situated on 2 acres in the centre of the town of Castlelyons this house was in the possession of the related clerical families of Browne and Ryder in the 18th and 19th centuries. Occupied by the Reverend Joshua B. Ryder in the mid 19th century. He held the property valued at £30 from Samuel Perrott. Still valued at £30 this house was occupied by the representatives of Andrew W. Ryder in 1906."