Letitia Mary Townsend (351)
|Date of Birth:||4 Mar 1849|
|Date of Death:||post 1911|
|Father:||Reverend Horatio Thomas Townsend |
|See Also:||Table III ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Letitia Mary Townsend
Letitia 's birth is recorded in the diary of Agnes Townsend  - 'March 4th 1849 Letitia Maria Somerville Townsend born.'
Nothing is known about the Rev Neville Somerville but he is probably a descendant of Richard Neville Somerville (1) of Millfield,(2) Rosscarbery who was a brother of Agnes Somerville, Letitia's mother.
Apart from a few references to her in the family papers relating to her brother Horace Townsend  nothing is known about Letitia. The references concern her coming over from Ireland to help with the children. She "returned to Ireland with Nellie" (her sister Eleanor Townsend ) after visiting her sick nephew Neville Townsend  in 1888. And again in 1893 - "Letitia with baby and Frank Murphy (Eleanor's husband) came from Ireland by Milford at 6.30pm. She very tired."
Letitia was living in London in 1911 and appears to have had her nephew Gerald Townsend  in her care; he would have been 26 at the time.
(1) The entry for Somerville in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' indicates that the first of this family to settle in Cork was Rev. William Somerville, who allegedly fled persecution in Scotland in the 1690s. Col. Thomas Somerville of Drishane, Skibbereen, owned over 450 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while other members of the family owned similar amounts. Thomas Somerville was among the principal lessors in the parish of Castlehaven at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Elizabeth Somerville held townlands in the parish of Skull at the same time."
(2) The entry for Millfield House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "This house, with a mill valued at £40, was leased by William Limerick to Henry Morrow in 1851, when the house was valued at £12 5s. Lewis notes Millfield as the seat of Lieut. Lloyd, RN, in 1837 while it is noted by Leet as the residence of Roger Sweeny in 1814. The mill is labelled Ross Mill on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. There is still an extant house at the site as well as the remains of some mill buildings." No mention of the Somervilles!
For other Somerville connections see Elizabeth Henrietta Townsend , Henrietta Augusta Townsend , Jonas Morris Townsend , Henrietta Anna Townsend , John Townsend , Horatio Thomas Townsend , Mary Townsend , Maria Townsend [5D07]. See the entry for Mary Townsend  for a precis of the Somerville family and their connections with the Townsends.