Richard Townsend (116)
|Date of Birth:||1691|
|Date of Death:||19 Feb 1745|
|Residence:||Clogeen, Bandon, Co Cork|
|Father:||Captain Francis Townsend |
|See Also:||Table I ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Richard Townsend
Married ca 1710. Elizabeth Minchin was the daughter of Thomas Minchin (1) of Busherstown,(2) King's Co and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of the Hon Richard Butler. See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 - Minchin. Burke's shows Elizabeth marrying Butler Townsend; this must be wrong as the son was christened Butler after his grandfather.
Alumni Trinity College Dublin from Co Cork and Kerry 1593-1860 in Dr Casey's Collection records that Richard was taught by Mr Goodman of Cork before he entered Trinity College, Dublin, on 13 December 1701 aged 18 as a pensioner who paid a fixed sum annually for his studies. Mr Goodman also tutored Richard's son, Butler Townsend , before he entered the University in 1723.
Following the Treaty of Limerick in 1691 “A List of the Claims as they are entered with the Trustees at Chichester House on College Green, Dublin on or before 10th August 1700” was drawn up to determine claims arising from the last wave of forfeitures and confiscations. Claim number 2589 on page 299 shows Richard's' uncle, Philip Townsend  laying claim to some of Dominic Copinger's land on behalf of Francis with the residue of 21 years on the lands of Rathmore from 1684.
Page 237 of the book 'An Officer of the Long Parliament' records that Richard lived near Bandon whilst his son lived at Clogeen (Cloheen?). An entry in the Church of Ireland Parish Records Ross Cathedral 1690–1823 records on page 25 under the heading ‘Burials’ "1745 Feb 19th Mr. Richard Townsend of Clogeen" and it is reasonable to assume therefore that this refers to Richard.
Memorial 247679 dated 25 June 1785 in the Registry of Deeds Index Project Ireland regarding the transfer of the plowlands of Coolnacaghragh refers to a lease dated 12 February 1741 in which 'Richard Townsend of Cloheen' demised this land to William Bellew.
(1) Thomas was born in 1658, married in 1680 and died in 1696. His father was Charles Minchin of Moneygall who was a Captain in Cromwell's Parliamentary Army. He purchased the Annagh estate from Major Solomon Cambie in 1669 and the Ballinakill estate from Sir R. Stephens in 1680. He married the sister of Colonel Walcott of Croagh, Co Limerick, who was executed for his share in the Rye House Plot. Charles died in 1681 and his will was proved on 18 November 1681.
(2) The entry for Minchin (Bushertown) in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Humphrey Minchin was granted 1,271 acres in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary in 1668. His brother Charles Minchin was granted about 500 acres in the same barony in 1667 and bought the Annagh estate from Major Solomon Cambie in 1669 and the Ballinakill estate from Sir Richard Stephens in 1680. From Charles descend the various branches of the Minchin family. The senior branch of the family descend from Humphrey Minchin of Ballinakill Castle and Busherstown, county Offaly. Ballinakill Castle was sold by Humphrey's son Paul in the mid 18th century and estates purchased in England. In the mid 19th century the English branch of the family still held an estate in the parishes of Bourney, Corbally and Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In 1869 Henry James Bunbury of Holywell, Hants and Lord of the Manor of Soberton died, leaving his English estates to his nephew Falkiner John Minchin of Annagh. H.J.B. Minchin's sister Georgina married in 1829 William Minchin of Annagh, county Tipperary descended from John Minchin, fourth son of the original Charles. The Busherstown property continued in the possession of the family of Humphrey, third son of Humphrey of Ballinakill Castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Humphrey held land in the parish of Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In the 1870s his son George John Minchin of Busherstown owned 432 acres in county Tipperary, 392 in county Limerick and 1,340 acres in King's County."