Susannah Townsend (114)
|Date of Birth:||ante 1692|
|Date of Death:||Unknown|
|Residence:||Lisnagar, Co Cork|
|Father:||John Townsend |
|Mother:||Barry, Lady Katherine|
|See Also:||Table I ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Susannah Townsend
Colonel James Barry (d ca 1716) of Lisnagar, (1) Rathcormac, Co Cork (M'Adam Barry) was a cousin of Susannah's, who was his second wife - his first was Mary, daughter of Abraham Anselm of London. See Burke's Irish Landed Gentry 1912 - Barry. See also ‘A Guide to Irish Houses’ by M. Bence-Jones, London, 1988 – “RATHCORMACK cor Lisnegar. Barry - Tonson 1720+. Enlarged ca. 1820 by William Tonson, Lord Riversdale.”
Of the children:
David and Patrick were both doctors and both died having not married.
Katherine Barry married John Townsend .
The Dunscombes were still resident at Mount Desert a century and more later - 'The Post Chaise Companion or Traveller's Directory through Ireland 3rd Edition 1804' page 351 records "One mile from Cork, on the R. is Glasheen, the seat of Mr Patten; and about a mile father to the R. is Mount desert, the seat of Mr Dunscombe". ‘Thom's Irish Almanac and Official Directory for the Year 1862’ shows “Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert” as a Deputy Lieutenant and Magistrate. ‘Landowners of County Cork 1876’ shows Nicholas Dunscombe owning 1,126 acres at Mount Desert.
(1) The entry for Lisnagar in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Originally a home of the MacAdam branch of the Barry family, sold to the Lawless brothers in the 1770s and soon afterwards bought by William Tonson. The house was occupied by the Reverend John Bolster in the early 1850s and valued at £39.15 shillings. Inherited by the Stawell family in 1861 and sold by them in the early 20th century. This house is still a residence."
(2) Noblett was born in 1699 and died without issue in May 1745. His father William Dunscombe was born in 1660 and married Catherine Meade, sister to Sir John Meade Bart, on 1 October 1682. His grandfather, also called Noblett Dunscombe, was born in 1626 and page 308 of Francis G Tuckey's "Tuckey's Cork Remembrancer" records that he was Sheriff of Cork in 1659 and Mayor in 1665. He married in 1652, Mary Hull, niece of Sir William Hull, Knt and daughter of Henry Hull of Clonakilty, Co. Cork, and died in June, 1695.
(3) The entry for Dunscombe in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "A family originally from Devon who settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. In 1703 William Dunscombe purchased the lands of Currikippane East and West, in the South Liberties of Cork city, from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. In 1764 Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert, barony of Cork, married Mary Parker of Inchigagin, county Cork and had 7 sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas Dunscombe held land in the parishes of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry and Currykippane, barony of Cork. The Appendix to the 34th Report of the Commissioners of Her Majesty's Woods, Forests and Land Revenues 1856, published in the House of Commons Papers Vol 37 page 145 records the purchase of parts of the Kingwilliamstown estate by Nicholas Dunscombe (1,063 acres) in 1855. In 1858 Nicholas Dunscombe, son of Parker Dunscombe and his wife Jane Waggett bought the Scully part of the Kingwilliamstown's estate in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork and went to live at Kingwilliamstown House. In July 1859 the county Limerick estate of Parker Dunscombe was advertised for sale. The estate amounted to over 4,000 acres in the barony of Connello Upper [actually in barony of Glenquin], county Limerick, most of it held from Dame Charlotte O'Brien by fee farm grant dated 1852. In the 1870s Nicholas Dunscombe of Mount Desert owned 1,126 acres in county Cork and Nicholas Dunscombe of Kingwilliamstown owned 2,678 acres."
(4) The entry for Mount Desert in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "The home of the Dunscombe family in the 18th and 19th centuries, occupied by George Dunscombe in 1814 and by Nicholas Dunscombe in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £55. Still valued at the same amount in 1906 when it was occupied by Robert Dunscombe. The Bon Secours Health Care unit is now located at this site."