Elizabeth Zena Townsend (6B38)
|Date of Birth:||28 May1868|
|Date of Death:||Unknown|
|Residence:||Kilbrogan, Bandon, Co Cork|
|Father:||Horatio Hamilton Townsend [6B05]|
|See Also:||Table VIB ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Elizabeth Zena Townsend
Elizabeth was born in Co Cork.
Married 24 January 1899 (1). Canon John Charles Lord] (2).
The April 1901 Irish Census shows that Elizabeth aged 32 and her husband were living at house 2 in Lower Park, Queenstown, Cork, their two children and three domestic staff. The April 1911 Irish Census records Elizabeth, aged 42, living in Kilbrogan, Bandon, Cork, with her husband, a Clerk in Holy Orders aged 43, four young children - Letitia age 10, Horace age 7, Katherine age 3, Martin age 1 - and three servants. The house consisted of 21 rooms, a coach house, a stable and four other outbuildings.
Of the children:
John Charles Hamilton Lord was born 30 November 1899 (3). He married 1st Joyce Cawood in Sydney, Australia ca 1930; he married 2nd in 1947 and had three sons. He died in West Wyalong on 26th November 1976.
Letitia Elizabeth Lord was born on 16 November 1900 (4).
Bryan Lord died in infancy before the April 1911 Census.
Lt Col Horace James Lord was born on 8 August 1903 (5) and married Molly Howell of Tientsin, China, in Srinagar, Kashmir. He died in 1988.
Katherine May Lord was born in 1908.
Martin Townsend Lord was born in 1909.
(1) Entry in the diary of Agnes Townsend  - '24 January 1899 Mr Lord to Miss Zena Townshend'
(2) John, younger son of Charles Lord of Crossdoney, Co Cavan, was born at Crossdoney, on 7 March 1868. He was ducated at Wesley College, Dublin and entered Trinity College, Dublin in 1889. BA 1892. MA 1898. He was ordained Deacon in 1892, and Priest in 1895, both at Cork. Curate of Clonmel (or Queenstown) 1892 to 1901 when he was appointed Rector of Droumdaleague vice Rev Thomas Wakeham who was married to Katherine Townsend (6B12) - cousin once removed of Elizabeth. Later John was appointed Rector of Christ Church, Kilbrogan, Bandon. He died on 10 January 1962 and his biographical details can be seen on page 46 in Reverend John Harding Cole's Church and Parish Records of the United Diocese of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, covering the period 1863 to 1903 and published in 1903. They are also shown in 'Pike's Contemporary Biographies 1911'.
(3) Entry in the diary of Agnes Townsend  - 'Nov 30 1899 Mrs Zena Lord had a son'
(4) Entry in the diary of Agnes Townsend  - 'Nov 16 1900 Mrs J C Lord had a daughter (Zena T)'
(5) Entry in the diary of Agnes Townsend  -'8th Aug 1903 Mrs J C Lord had a son'