Mary Townsend (138)
|Date of Birth:||post 1743|
|Date of Death:||dspm Mar 1812|
|Residence:||Kilmaloda, (1) Bandon Co Cork|
|Father:||Francis Townsend |
|See Also:||Table I ; Scrapbook ; Lineage ; Ancestors' Tree ; Descendents' Tree|
Notes for Mary Townsend
Married 1784. Francis Beamish (2 and 2a) of Myrtle Grove, Youghall, Co Cork. He was the eldest son of Francis and Elizabeth (Sealy) Beamish of Kilmaloda, Bandon, Co. Cork, Ireland.
Myrtle Grove,(3) Youghal was reputedly built by Sir Walter Raleigh, in 1586. Raleigh was mayor of the town in 1588, and here, according to tradition, the first potatoes brought by him from America were planted. In Hall's 'Ireland,' (4) however, it is stated that the house, which is still standing, though somewhat modernized, is said to have been originally the residence of the wardens of the collegiate church, and to have been altered to the character of an English manor-house by either Sir George Carew or Sir Richard Boyle, both of whom resided there.
In a letter dated 16 March 1902 Mary's granddaughter, Martha Beamish Rabin, wrote - "my grandmother was a widow for some years and lived at Myrtle Grove, which is a complete ruin now". It is reasonable to assume, on account of the Christian name, that Mary's daughter Martha Beamish married Mr Rabin.(5)
Of the children.
The eldest son, Townsend Beamish, was born in 1786, married Mary Atkins, daughter of Walter Atkins, and had one child, who predeceased him. Townsend Beamish died without issue in April 1808 and was succeeded in the Kilmalooda estates by his uncle, Sampson Beamish. An entry in the Church of Ireland Parish Records Ross Cathedral 1690–1823 records on page 57 under the heading 'Burials' - "1808 April 22nd Townsend Beamish of Clonakilty Esq."
John Sealy Beamish died on 15 February 1809.
(1) The entry for Kilmaloda House in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Thomas Beamish held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £50. In 1837, Lewis refers to it as the seat of Sampson Beamish. In 1906 it was owned by Sampson Beamish and valued at £68 15s. Local sources suggest it was built by the earlier Sampson Beamish and occupied by his descendants until the mid twentieth century when it came into the hands of the McCarthy-Murrough family. There is still an extant house at the site."
(2) An entry in the Church of Ireland Parish Records Ross Cathedral 1690–1823 records on page 39 under the heading 'Burials' - " 1774 3rd May Mr Francis Beamish of Ross".
(2a) The entry for Beamish in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Burke's Irish Family Records indicates that lands granted to members of the Beamish family were confirmed under the Acts of Settlement (1688). Robert D. Beamish was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Caheragh, Creagh and Durrus, barony of West Carbery, and Ballydeloughy, barony of Fermoy, at the time of Griffith's Valuation while John Beamish held townlands in the parishes of Ballymoney and Desertserges , barony of East Carbery, at the same time. Henry, Thomas, Francis and Sampson Beamish was among the principal lessors in Desertserges parish. Richard Beamish was a lessor of several townlands in the parishes of Castleventry, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and Ross, barony of East Carbery, while William Beamish held townlands in the parish of Kilgarriff, barony of East Carbery and in Aghera, barony of Kinnatalloon. Other Beamish family members held lands in the baronies of West and East Muskerry, Barrymore, Fermoy, Kinnatalloon and Cork. North L. Beamish held an estate of 8 townlands in the parish of Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary at the same time. Over 180 acres of John S. Beamish's estate at Knockane, barony of East Carbery, was offered for sale in the Encumbered estates Court in 1853. In the 1870s the Beamish estates in county Cork amounted to over 12,000 acres. see http://beamishbook3.tripod.com/newbeamishbook/newbeamishbook.htm"
3) The entry for Myrtle Grove in the National University of Ireland (NUI) Galway Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database records "Myrtle Grove, a Tudor manor house, associated with Sir Walter Raleigh and Edmund Spencer, the poet in the 16th century. At the beginning of the 17th century it was sold to Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork and later became the property of the Hayman family, who owned it in the 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1837 Lewis writes that it was inhabited by Colonel Faunt. Later occupants include Joseph Wakefield Pim, Sir John Pope Hennessy and the Arbuthnot family. Now in private hands this house is open to the public on certain days in the year."
(4) Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Carter Hall's tour of Ireland in 1840 as published in 1841 and republished by Sphere Books Ltd 1984.
(5) RBT Papers 138/1.