possible to model observed non-monotonic rotation profile?

General discussion of all things GYRE-related (e.g., results, talks, ideas, tips)
mjoyce

possible to model observed non-monotonic rotation profile?

Post by mjoyce » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi Rich et al.,

Quick question: is it possible to hand GYRE, or build within GYRE, initial conditions that have a non-monotonic rotation profile (e.g. a measured surface rotation rate than exceeds an internal subsurface rotation rate)? My assumption is no (and how would one produce that in MESA, anyway?), but I wanted to double check.

Thanks,

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: possible to model observed non-monotonic rotation profile?

Post by rhtownsend » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:38 pm

mjoyce wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 pm
Hi Rich et al.,

Quick question: is it possible to hand GYRE, or build within GYRE, initial conditions that have a non-monotonic rotation profile (e.g. a measured surface rotation rate than exceeds an internal subsurface rotation rate)? My assumption is no (and how would one produce that in MESA, anyway?), but I wanted to double check.

Thanks,
Hi Meridith --

Yes, GYRE can handle input stellar models with differential (and non-monotonic) radial rotation profiles. However, when you talk about "initial conditions", that suggests to me that you want GYRE to evolve this rotation profile -- something which it doesn't do (it just calculates free oscillation eigenfrequencies and eigenfunctions).

cheers,

Rich

mjoyce

Re: possible to model observed non-monotonic rotation profile?

Post by mjoyce » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:24 am

Thanks, Rich. I don't need GYRE to evolve it, just do what it usually does (hand me the eigenfrequencies). I didn't realize GYRE could handle that, so good to know.

The remaining question is then how one would build a model with a particular non-monotonic rotation profile (e.g. to match measurements). But that is not a GYRE question...!

Thanks,