Advantage of the double points?

General discussion of all things GYRE-related (e.g., results, talks, ideas, tips)
stefano

Advantage of the double points?

Post by stefano » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

I am having a bit of a hard time dealing with double points, especially when computing numerical derivatives. It would be easier if I remove all the double points from my stellar models but I wonder if doing so I will lose quality in the GYRE output.

I would like to know your opinion about if there is any crucial difference when given to GYRE a model with double point and the same model with no double points.

Thanks for your time.

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: Advantage of the double points?

Post by rhtownsend » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:55 pm

stefano wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm
I am having a bit of a hard time dealing with double points, especially when computing numerical derivatives. It would be easier if I remove all the double points from my stellar models but I wonder if doing so I will lose quality in the GYRE output.

I would like to know your opinion about if there is any crucial difference when given to GYRE a model with double point and the same model with no double points.

Thanks for your time.
Hi Stefano --

Double points are required in order to represent density discontinuities, which can arise at various stages of stellar evolution (e.g., at the bottom of the convective envelope on the red giant branch). Across density discontinuities, the Brunt-Vaisala frequency is undefined, and the oscillation equations must be replaced by jump conditions. GYRE handles the jump conditions correctly.

I would recommend against removing double points, unless you have reason to believe they are unphysical.