Double meshpoints causing error?

General discussion of all things GYRE-related (e.g., results, talks, ideas, tips)
Mathias

Re: Double meshpoints causing error?

Post by Mathias » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi Rich

I also noticed it myself just now. The inlists I send you should be the ones used to produce the MESA profile and GYRE model.
I think the difference might be due to some extra options in the "run_star_extras" , but there are some methods used which are defined in other files, which I don't have on this computer right now. I'll check it out tomorrow when I have acces to the system used for my MESA runs.

Best regards
Mathias

Mathias

Post by Mathias » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Rich

Apparently, add_atmosphere is set to true internally, which explains the extra points in the surface layers.
Maybe I should set it to false for the post-MS models.

Best regards
Mathias

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Mathias wrote:Hi Rich

Apparently, add_atmosphere is set to true internally, which explains the extra points in the surface layers.
Maybe I should set it to false for the post-MS models.

Best regards
Mathias
Hi Mathias --

Aha, you're running into a couple of bugs that we recently fixed in MESA. One bug adds on an atmosphere to the GYRE models, even when it isn't requested by the user; and the other causes mismatches between the atmosphere and the interior.

Both of these bugs are fixed in the latest release (9575) of MESA -- so, I'm afraid you'll have to upgrade to get a model that works OK.

cheers,

Rich

Mathias

Post by Mathias » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 am

Hi Rich

Thanks for your help in figuring out the problem, I guess I'll upgrade soon.
Just to let you know, by setting "add_atmosphere_to_pulse_data" to false, the models that previously resulted in errors now seem to run correctly.
The GYRE model and MESA profile have the same amount of grind points, and the GYRE error message is gone.
I didn't check every calculated model, but the ones I checked run fine.

Best regards
Mathias