Wish list

Suggestions for improvements, new features, etc.
mikemon

Wish list

Post by mikemon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for setting up this website and making Gyre available!

Just off the top of my head I have a couple a requests on my wish list.

1. I know it may be redundant, but could some or all of the Gyre output files contain header information about the stellar model that was used, i.e., its Teff, Luminosity, Age, Mass, metallicity, etc.? This would be really great.

2. For the non-adiabatic eigenfunction output, would it be possible to also include the work integral, either in differential or total form?

By the way, how long will it be before MESA and Gyre share the same SDK?

Cheers,

Mike

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: Wish list

Post by rhtownsend » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:08 am

mikemon wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Thanks for setting up this website and making Gyre available!
>
> Just off the top of my head I have a couple a requests on my wish list.
>
> 1. I know it may be redundant, but could some or all of the Gyre output files contain
> header information about the stellar model that was used, i.e., its Teff, Luminosity,
> Age, Mass, metallicity, etc.? This would be really great.
>

I can easily put this in the screen output; but were you wanting it in the HDF5 eigen* output files as well?

> 2. For the non-adiabatic eigenfunction output, would it be possible to also include
> the work integral, either in differential or total form?

Certainly!

>
> By the way, how long will it be before MESA and Gyre share the same SDK?
>

Probably not long. At the moment, Gyre needs gfortran 4.9.0, as it uses some important Fortran 2003/2008 features not present in gfortran 4.8.x. At some point I'll push 4.9.0 into the MESA SDK.

cheers,

Rich

mikemon

Post by mikemon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Rich,

> > 1. I know it may be redundant, but could some or all of the Gyre output files contain
> > header information about the stellar model that was used, i.e., its Teff, Luminosity,
> > Age, Mass, metallicity, etc.? This would be really great.
> >
>
> I can easily put this in the screen output; but were you wanting it in the HDF5 eigen*
> output files as well?

I would like it in the screen output AND in the eigenfrequency files. I personally would like it in the
eigenfunction files as well, but I realize that most people probably won't. I just like having that information
since it makes it harder to forget where something came from. In some of my programs (the ones that do
fitting) I even output the time of the fit, since that helps me keep track of what I did when.

But for sure I would like the information to be included in the eigenfrequency files, since I may save some
of them for long periods of time.

>
> > 2. For the non-adiabatic eigenfunction output, would it be possible to also include
> > the work integral, either in differential or total form?
>
> Certainly!

Another thing I'd like to do is use radial variables other than r, for instance 1-M_r/M_R, or ln(r/p). Rather than
putting these directly into the eigenfunction files we could also just have Gyre write out a file with a bunch of
different radial variables in it, such as: r, M_r, p, 1-M_r/M_R, ln (r/p), T, rho

Ok, so those last couple weren't really radial variables, but it would be nice to have them, too. Anyway, I could
then read this file and an eigenfunction file and choose any of the radial variables I want to make plots with.

Anyway, it's just an idea.

Thanks!

Mike

>
> >
> > By the way, how long will it be before MESA and Gyre share the same SDK?
> >
>
> Probably not long. At the moment, Gyre needs gfortran 4.9.0, as it uses some important
> Fortran 2003/2008 features not present in gfortran 4.8.x. At some point I'll push
> 4.9.0 into the MESA SDK.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rich

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

mikemon wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Thanks for setting up this website and making Gyre available!
>
> Just off the top of my head I have a couple a requests on my wish list.
>
> 1. I know it may be redundant, but could some or all of the Gyre output files contain
> header information about the stellar model that was used, i.e., its Teff, Luminosity,
> Age, Mass, metallicity, etc.? This would be really great.

Mass, radius and luminosity can be written to summary files and/or mode files. The other data are trickier, as they're not defined in stellar model files.

>
> 2. For the non-adiabatic eigenfunction output, would it be possible to also include
> the work integral, either in differential or total form?
>

It's now included -- dW_dx (the differential work) can be written to mode files, and its definite integral W can be written to summary files and/or mode files.

> By the way, how long will it be before MESA and Gyre share the same SDK?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike