GYRE scripting environment

Suggestions for improvements, new features, etc.
ehsan

GYRE scripting environment

Post by ehsan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:50 am

Dear Rich,
As GYRE evolves and matures, my fascination with the code grows as well; the implementation of TAR is the recent one ;-)

I was thinking of a possibility of having a user's scripting environment, similar to e.g. run_star_extras in MESA, where public variables and routines are accessible to the user for customised use of the code. The purpose of such environment is to allow user interaction with the code during the runtime, and perform iterative computations, based on the results of the previous step.
Perhaps, one way to do it is to write a Python wrapper around GYRE, and the user would only interact with GYRE through that wrapper; or the best way to do it is indeed similar to MESA in Fortran.
I totally understand that it would be some major time investment into the code architecture.

This scripting environment can perhaps allow the user to intervene in any phase of the GYRE computation, access the input inlist variables, and the intermediate and final outputs.

What do you think here?

Kind regards
Ehsan

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: GYRE scripting environment

Post by rhtownsend » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi Ehsan --

I think this would be a great idea -- it would certainly make the code much more flexible to use.

However, to make this work would require a significant investment of time by multiple developers. Until other members of the community step up and start making contributions to the code, I can't see it happening. I certainly don't have enough time to do it alone.

Best wishes,

Rich

ehsan

Re: GYRE scripting environment

Post by ehsan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Rich,
Indeed, I understand your limited time, and the whole great amount of time it requires for such investment.

What are your preferred ways to do it? Where to start? What do to?
Your directions will be definitely helpful here.

Cheers
Ehsan.