gyre_ad not picking up output namelist

Bug/problem reports for any of the GYRE executables (gyre_ad, gyre_nad, etc)
JackMuir

gyre_ad not picking up output namelist

Post by JackMuir » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:39 am

I've been attempting to run a slight modification of the basic tutorial inlist (although this problem occurs for the tutorial as well). The code seems to run fine and outputs the results of the mode search to the console, but when it comes to writing the file it outputs the following:

Code: Select all

Completed mode search; time elapsed:      4.411 s
 ABORT at line 141 <gyre_output:write_data>:
 No &output namelist in input file
STOP Program aborted
This is confusing, as as far as I can tell, the &output namelist has been correctly defined in the following:

Code: Select all

&coeffs
	coeffs_type = 'EVOL' ! Obtain structure coefficient data from an evolutionary model
	file = 'solar.fgong'    ! File name of the evolutionary model
	file_format = 'FGONG'  !File format of the evolutionary model
/

&osc
	l = 1                     ! Harmonic degree
        outer_bound_type = 'ZERO' ! Use a zero-pressure outer mechanical boundary condition
/

&num
	ivp_solver_type = 'MAGNUS_GL4' ! 4th-order Magnus solver for initial-value integrations
/

&scan
    grid_type = 'INVERSE' ! Scan for modes using a uniform-in-period grid; best for g modes
    freq_units = 'NONE'   ! Interpret freq_min and freq_max as being dimensionless
    freq_min = 0.15       ! Minimum frequency to scan from
    freq_max = 0.9        ! Maximum frequency to scan to
    n_freq = 250          ! Number of frequency points in scan
/

&shoot_grid ! Can be left empty
/

&recon_grid ! Can be left empty
/

&output
    summary_file = 'summary.txt'                            ! File name for summary file
    summary_file_format = 'TXT'                             ! Format of summary file
    summary_item_list = 'M_star,R_star,l,n_pg,omega,E_norm' ! Items to appear in summary file
    mode_prefix = 'mode-'                      		! File-name prefix for mode files 
    mode_file_format = 'TXT'                   		! Format of mode files
    mode_item_list = 'l,n_pg,omega,x,xi_r,xi_h'   		! Items to appear in mode files
/
gyre_ad was compiled on Mac OS X 10.8 using the current development mesasdk. Any advice people could provide on how to overcome this error so that I don't have to copy and paste from the console would be most appreciated!

Regards,

Jack Muir

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: gyre_ad not picking up output namelist

Post by rhtownsend » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 am

Hi Jack --

Thanks for the bug report. Could you post your inlist file as an attachment (rather than cutting and pasting it) --- and also the solar.fgong file?

Many thanks,

Rich

JackMuir

Post by JackMuir » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi Rich,

Here are the attachments. The solar.fgong file is the output of the example_solar_model in the mesa star test suite when set to produce oscillation output. I had to add a .txt file extension to the gyre input file to get it to upload.

Thanks!

Jack
Attachments
gyre_ad.in.txt
gyre input
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
solar.fgong
Solar model
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 244 times

JackMuir

Post by JackMuir » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Rich,

So my group experimented a little and we found that if we placed the &output namelist above the &shoot_grid and &recon_grid namelists in the inlist file, then the summary and mode files are created. Very odd! I've attached the new inlist.

Regards,

Jack
Attachments
gyre_ad.in.txt
gyre input
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:05 pm

JackMuir wrote:Hi Rich,

So my group experimented a little and we found that if we placed the &output namelist above the &shoot_grid and &recon_grid namelists in the inlist file, then the summary and mode files are created. Very odd! I've attached the new inlist.

Regards,

Jack
Hi Jack --

As I suspected, there is a missing newline at the end of the gyre_ad.in file. Due to the way Fortran namelist files are handled, the final line with a '/' on it must have a newline appended. That will fix the problem.

Best wishes,

Rich

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm

PS I've updated the board settings so that you don't need a .txt extension for .in files.

JackMuir

Post by JackMuir » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks Rich,

I'm glad that it was such a simple problem to solve!

Jack