Different frequencies output depending on the formatting of stellar model input

Bug/problem reports for any of the GYRE executables (gyre_ad, gyre_nad, etc)
stefano

Different frequencies output depending on the formatting of stellar model input

Post by stefano » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Rich,

I am working with stellar models in FGONG and FAMDL formats. As a test, I run GYRE on the same model and it outputs different eigenfrequencies depending on the format of the model. I am new at GYRE and so I wonder if this is due to a misuse of the parameters in gyre.in or something else. I would like to know your opinion about it.

In the attach you can find the FGONG and FAMDL files together with plots showing that the relevant profiles for both files are the same. The gyre.in I used is also included as well as the summary file output for each case.

To exemplify the different outputs, I have attached plots about mode inertia and period spacing. Both differ significantly depending on the formatting of the input model.

Thank you very much for your time.

I look forward to your answer,
Stefano
Attachments
comparison_FGONG_FAMDL.zip
It contains the stellar model in FGONG and FAMDL formats, plots showing the comparison of some profiles quantities and plots showing the different GYRE output.
(7.83 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
Plot_inertia_FGONG_and_FAMDL.png
GYRE results for the normalized mode inertia and eigenfrequencies when given an FGONG or FAMDL formatted stellar model.
Plot_inertia_FGONG_and_FAMDL.png (222.25 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Plot_period_spacing_L1_FGONG_FAMDL.png
Period spacing for L=1 when given an FGONG or FAMDL formatted stellar model to GYRE.
Plot_period_spacing_L1_FGONG_FAMDL.png (144.16 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Plot_period_spacing_L2_FGONG_FAMDL.png
Period spacing for L=2 when given an FGONG or FAMDL formatted stellar model to GYRE.
Plot_period_spacing_L2_FGONG_FAMDL.png (123.75 KiB) Viewed 3727 times

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: Different frequencies output depending on the formatting of stellar model input

Post by rhtownsend » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 pm

stefano wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am
Hi Rich,

I am working with stellar models in FGONG and FAMDL formats. As a test, I run GYRE on the same model and it outputs different eigenfrequencies depending on the format of the model. I am new at GYRE and so I wonder if this is due to a misuse of the parameters in gyre.in or something else. I would like to know your opinion about it.

In the attach you can find the FGONG and FAMDL files together with plots showing that the relevant profiles for both files are the same. The gyre.in I used is also included as well as the summary file output for each case.

To exemplify the different outputs, I have attached plots about mode inertia and period spacing. Both differ significantly depending on the formatting of the input model.

Thank you very much for your time.

I look forward to your answer,
Stefano
Hi Stefano

I've tracked down the problem. Please could you edit line 136 of src/model/gyre_famdl_file.fpp, to replace the line

V_2 = V_g*Gamma_1

with

V_2 = V_g*Gamma_1/x**2

This should fix the issue.

On an unrelated note: can I ask why you are using stellar models with such a large number of grid points? And frequency scans with such a large number of frequency points? Both of these make your calculations take far longer than they should.

cheers,

Rich