segfault when requesting eta in summary file

Bug/problem reports for any of the GYRE executables (gyre_ad, gyre_nad, etc)
mjoyce

segfault when requesting eta in summary file

Post by mjoyce » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi All,
When using GYRE 5.2, I encounter the following error (failed_run_output.txt, attached) whenever I try to include the "eta" parameter in my summary_item_list, e.g.

summary_item_list = 'M_star,R_star,l,n_pg,n_p,n_g,freq,freq_units,Delta_p, eta' ! Items to appear in summary file

Keeping everything else the same and removing eta, GYRE runs with the attached model.in file without issue.
My source models are MESA and DSEP- generated gong files.

I would appreciate any insights into this problem

Thanks
Attachments
model.in
control file for model
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: segfault when requesting eta in summary file

Post by rhtownsend » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:16 pm

mjoyce wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 pm
Hi All,
When using GYRE 5.2, I encounter the following error (failed_run_output.txt, attached) whenever I try to include the "eta" parameter in my summary_item_list, e.g.

summary_item_list = 'M_star,R_star,l,n_pg,n_p,n_g,freq,freq_units,Delta_p, eta' ! Items to appear in summary file

Keeping everything else the same and removing eta, GYRE runs with the attached model.in file without issue.
My source models are MESA and DSEP- generated gong files.

I would appreciate any insights into this problem

Thanks
Hi Meredith --

The output file didn't get posted (the board software is a bit picky about what it accepts). However, my guess is that you're trying to calculate a non-adiabatic quantity (eta) from models that only supports adiabatic calculations (FGONG files). There's insufficient information in these files to evaluate eta, which is (probably) why GYRE crashes.

cheers,

Rich