frequency range and Gyre output

Bug/problem reports for any of the GYRE executables (gyre_ad, gyre_nad, etc)
Benard

frequency range and Gyre output

Post by Benard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 am

Hello,

I calculated p-mode frequencies for my models and they looked fine to me until when I calculated frequency ratios. I found a more like a zigzag feature between 3000 and 3500 microHz. I have attached the model, my gyre_template file and the plot for the ratios r010.

Secondly, I also played around varying the frequency range in gyre.in, I hoped Gyre would fail when one sets maximum frequency higher than the acoustic cut-off frequency of the model, but this is not the case, Gyre still calculates these frequencies. Could you help me understand why this is so?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Benard
Attachments
ratio_model1.png
ratio_model1.png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
mixing_length_alpha_1.3_initial_z_0.013_initial_mass_0.95_LOGS_profile16.data.FGONG
(607.79 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
gyre_template.in
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Re: frequency range and Gyre output

Post by rhtownsend » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Benard --

Regarding the wiggle in r010 -- can you see anything going on with the dipole mode(s) in the data? Have you tried plotting an echelle diagram to see if there is an avoided crossing?

Regarding the cutoff frequency issue -- GYRE currently prints out a warning that some frequencies in the scan grid are above the cutoff. When we're above the cutoff, the outer mechanical boundary condition is formally complex. When performing adiabatic calculations, GYRE simply discards the imaginary parts of the boundary condition.

As a user, what sort of behavior would you prefer to see? I could, for instance, truncate the frequency scan so that it doesn't go above the cutoff. Or, I could abort with an error.

cheers,

Rich

Benard

Re: frequency range and Gyre output

Post by Benard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your response.

I have calculated frequencies keeping only those below the cut-off and the plot for the r010 is fine now. The hump i was seeing comes for frequencies above the cut-off frequency which i shouldn't be keeping.

Cheers,
Benard