Building build_poly in GYRE 5.1

Bug/problem reports for any of the GYRE executables (gyre_ad, gyre_nad, etc)
Starfighter

Building build_poly in GYRE 5.1

Post by Starfighter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm attempting to build GYRE using the 5.1 Release on a Mac Pro (late 2013) running Mac OS X Sierra (ver. 10.12.6).

I was able to build the executables poly_to_fgong and gyre. However, I was not able to build build_poly following the procedure posted at https://bitbucket.org/rhdtownsend/gyre/ ... %20Started. The question I have is is there something I need to do to include build_poly into the build?

Please advise.

jgoldstein

Re: Building build_poly in GYRE 5.1

Post by jgoldstein » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am

Hi,

Did you successfully install the MESA SDK?
Please include the error output from your attempted build.

Thanks,
Jacqueline

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 am

Starfighter wrote:I'm attempting to build GYRE using the 5.1 Release on a Mac Pro (late 2013) running Mac OS X Sierra (ver. 10.12.6).

I was able to build the executables poly_to_fgong and gyre. However, I was not able to build build_poly following the procedure posted at https://bitbucket.org/rhdtownsend/gyre/ ... %20Started. The question I have is is there something I need to do to include build_poly into the build?

Please advise.
Try using the Mad (Madison) SDK, rather than the MESA SDK. Available here:

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/sta ... ref=madsdk

(The Mad SDK includes the ODEPACK library of differential equation integrators, which are needed to compile build_poly).

cheers,

Rich

Starfighter

Post by Starfighter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:16 pm

I attempted building GYRE using MADSDK in place of MESASDK and the build failed with the following messages:

Samuels-Mac-Pro:~ user$ cd $GYRE_DIR
Samuels-Mac-Pro:gyre user$ make
FC gyre.f90
LD gyre
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_main", referenced from:
implicit entry/start for main executable
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gyre] Error 1
rm gyre.o
Samuels-Mac-Pro:gyre user$

Again, I'm attempting to build version 5.1 of GYRE on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running Mac OS X ver. 10.12.6 (Sierra) and doing the build with MESASDK works except that it doesn't build build_poly.

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Starfighter wrote:I attempted building GYRE using MADSDK in place of MESASDK and the build failed with the following messages:

Samuels-Mac-Pro:~ user$ cd $GYRE_DIR
Samuels-Mac-Pro:gyre user$ make
FC gyre.f90
LD gyre
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_main", referenced from:
implicit entry/start for main executable
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gyre] Error 1
rm gyre.o
Samuels-Mac-Pro:gyre user$

Again, I'm attempting to build version 5.1 of GYRE on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running Mac OS X ver. 10.12.6 (Sierra) and doing the build with MESASDK works except that it doesn't build build_poly.
Try running 'make clean' before you do 'make'.

cheers,

Rich

Starfighter

Post by Starfighter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Rich,

Tried your suggestion and that didn't work either. In attempting to figure out how the build process knows to use madsdk.

I looked into the Makefile in the ~/gyre/src/build sub-directory. I believe the problem is that build process with version 5.1 uses only the mesasdk and never looks into the madsdk for odepack which is needed to trigger the build for build_poly.

Therefore, I believe the question is how to build the equivalent of madsdk_odepack_link for mesasdk that is compatible with Mac OS X Sierra (Mac OS X ver. 10.12.x)?

Hope this helps.

Sam Dupree.

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 am

Starfighter wrote:Rich,

Tried your suggestion and that didn't work either. In attempting to figure out how the build process knows to use madsdk.

I looked into the Makefile in the ~/gyre/src/build sub-directory. I believe the problem is that build process with version 5.1 uses only the mesasdk and never looks into the madsdk for odepack which is needed to trigger the build for build_poly.

Therefore, I believe the question is how to build the equivalent of madsdk_odepack_link for mesasdk that is compatible with Mac OS X Sierra (Mac OS X ver. 10.12.x)?

Hope this helps.

Sam Dupree.
Hi Sam --

Can you check that you have the Mad SDK properly installed and activated? Please post the output from

echo `madsdk_odepack_link`

Note: backticks, not quotes!

cheers,

Rich

Starfighter

Post by Starfighter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Rich,

Found the solution. I needed to add the following statement, source $MADSDK_ROOT/bin/madsdk_init.sh, to pick up madsdk.

Let me make sure I have it correct. it seems I need both the mesasdk and madsdk directories, is that correct?

Sam Dupree.

rhtownsend
Site Admin

Post by rhtownsend » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Starfighter wrote:Rich,

Found the solution. I needed to add the following statement, source $MADSDK_ROOT/bin/madsdk_init.sh, to pick up madsdk.

Let me make sure I have it correct. it seems I need both the mesasdk and madsdk directories, is that correct?

Sam Dupree.
Glad you got the Mad SDK working!

You don't need both MESA and Mad SDK's -- the Mad SDK is a superset of the MESA SDK, so just the Mad SDK will suffice.

cheers,

Rich